South Africa Springboks triumph over Ireland in thrilling Castle Lager Incoming Series


In a pulsating and drama-filled Test match at Loftus Versfeld in Pretoria, the South Africa Springboks edged past Ireland with a 27-20 victory to take a one-nil lead in the Castle Lager Incoming Series.

The match, witnessed by a fervent crowd of 50,066 spectators, showcased moments of brilliance interspersed with unforced errors, but ultimately, it was the Springboks who emerged triumphant.

The Springboks began the match in spectacular fashion, with their first try coming early in the opening spell. The Boks maintained possession through several phases, utilizing varied angles of attack.

A powerful run by Pieter-Steph du Toit on the right flank forced the Irish defense to commit more players, creating space on the left. Jesse Kriel exploited this gap, and after a final pass from Siya Kolisi, Kurt-Lee Arendse cut inside two defenders to score.

Handre Pollard added the conversion, giving the home side a perfect start in front of a sold-out crowd.

Despite this early setback, Ireland quickly regrouped and launched a fierce counter-attack. The Boks, penalized for killing the ball, handed Ireland a tap penalty five meters out.

However, brilliant defense forced the visitors into a handling error, allowing the Boks to feed the first scrum of the match.

A wobbly scrum was followed by a brilliant clearance from Cheslin Kolbe, who had no angle to work with but managed to move play to the halfway line.

Cheslin Kolbe in action for South Africa. PHOTO: Springboks, X

The Boks’ pressure soon paid off. Following a ruck infringement by Joe McCarthy, Pollard slotted his first penalty goal from 35 meters out, extending the lead to seven points. The Springboks continued to apply pressure with some delightful ball-in-hand play.

Du Toit was instrumental in the wider channels, nearly setting Kolbe up for a try. However, the Irish defense held firm until Andrew Porter was penalized for hands in the ruck, allowing Pollard to kick an easy three-pointer, making it 13-3 after 29 minutes.

Ireland managed to get ball in hand after the restart, but their efforts were thwarted when Bongi Mbonambi was penalized for a ruck infringement.

Jack Crowley’s subsequent kick went wide, much to the delight of the crowd. Shortly after, Jesse Kriel was ruled offside, giving Ireland an opportunity for an attacking lineout.

They retained possession through multiple phases, and a well-timed inside pass by James Lowe found fullback Jamie Osborne, who scored in the corner. Crowley missed the conversion, leaving the score at 13-8 at halftime.

The second half began with a promising surge from the Springboks, but a handling error allowed Ireland to relieve pressure. Despite their dominance, the Boks’ momentum was frequently disrupted by handling errors.

The introduction of the Bomb Squad in the 49th minute brought fresh energy, but even they couldn’t prevent a scrum penalty that handed Ireland more attacking opportunities.

However, the Irish spilled the ball, giving the Springboks a chance to press hard, only to be undone by another handling error.

A pivotal moment came when Cheslin Kolbe capitalized on a mistake by Lowe. Pollard’s touch finder was kept in play by Lowe, but Kolbe pounced, kicking the ball ahead into the in-goal area and winning the race to score.

The try, confirmed after a long review by TMO Ben Whitehouse, was converted by Pollard, extending the Boks’ lead to 20-8.

Jesse Kriel (left) in action for South Africa against Ireland. PHOTO: Springboks, X

Ireland, ranked second in the world, refused to go down without a fight. Kurt-Lee Arendse received a yellow card for being offside at a ruck near his line, and Ireland made the most of the numerical advantage.

James Ryan was held up over the line, but from the resulting goal-line dropout, Conor Murray found an inside pass to score. Crowley’s conversion brought the score to 20-15.

A crucial error by Lowe from a deep restart by Sacha Feinberg-Mngomezulu, who replaced Pollard, handed the Boks a scrum five meters out. The Springboks’ pack demolished the Irish, resulting in a penalty try. With the score at 27-15, the match seemed settled.

However, replacement flanker Ryan Baird scored with two minutes to go, outflanking the Bok defense.

The conversion reduced the deficit to seven points, setting up a tense final minute. Ireland had one last attack, but a spilled pass ended their hopes, bringing a dramatic night of rugby to a close.

The Springboks’ victory, though not without its flaws, showcased their resilience and ability to seize crucial moments.

As they look ahead to the next match in the series, the team will aim to iron out their unforced errors while building on the moments of brilliance that thrilled their fans at Loftus Versfeld.

We are Africa’s number one online sports community created by true fans.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:




More like this